IOS beats Android for me: No fiddling

fullsizerender

My days of fiddling with devices just to make them work the way I need are over. Take a new Apple device out of the box and everything is right where you expect it to be. That’s not the case with Android. Back in the day I didn’t mind fiddling with a new device or OS update. I’d spend hours arranging things right where I wanted them. Dragging apps to my preferred place, tweaking settings so everything was just like I wanted.

Then I thought about it for a while and realized I was tired of making phones and tablets work the way I wanted. I just wanted to pick up a device and do what I needed to do. I didn’t want to waste time finding the app I use every day, and I didn’t want to learn the OS all over again. That’s when I switched to iOS and I’ve never looked back since.

Think about it. Getting a new Android phone or tablet is like carefully organizing your office and coming in one morning to find all your stuff in different places. It’s like someone came in and moved everything around to make it difficult to find.

You wouldn’t tolerate such shenanigans so why should you stand for it on the device you use constantly? Installing a new version of the mobile OS or getting a new device should provide a familiar setting, not make you fiddle with it just to get it back like the old one.

My fiddling days are over, and iOS respects that.

4 thoughts on “IOS beats Android for me: No fiddling

• October 24, 2016 at 10:24 am

I am the same way. I tell people if they are tech savvy and enjoy customizing their things go android. I really just want things to work and work seamlessly.

• October 24, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Interesting. I feel the same way, except that I don’t have to fiddle with Android. IOS on the other hand, tends to make me say things that my mother would still wash my mouth with soap for because I find it so completely awkward.

• October 24, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Android has gained a lot more polish in recent years and is quite usable out of the box now as well. I doubt that the majority of Android users do a lot of customization any more than iOS users do. Android does provide the option of more customization, but it isn’t really necessary.

In general, I think the gap has closed quite a bit between Android and iOS in recent years. The former is more polished and the latter does now provide more customization options, such as 3rd party keyboards, limited widget capabilities, etc.

• October 25, 2016 at 10:19 am

Articles like this are ridiculous. Are people REALLY so lame? My wife and I both have Nexus 6 phones. She pulled hers out of the box and has used it pretty much with zero fiddling from day one, about a year ago. I have tweaked and adjusted mine like crazy because I like doing things like that. The difference between Android and iOS is that Android gives you the option to fiddle and customize if you like. iOS says that if you don’t like the way they lay things out, tough.