Goofy Surface 3 pen loop

Having the pen for the Surface 3 is handy, even if just using it for a screen pointer. The problem is there is no way to store it with the Surface where it won’t be left behind. It’s a $50 pen, so walking off and leaving it is not an option.

Pen loopRecognizing that, Microsoft includes a “pen loop” with the pen. This little contraption attaches to the bottom of the Type Cover with an adhesive strip. The loop extends out of the side of the Type Cover and the Surface Pen slides into it.

I finally broke down and attached it to see how well it works. It looks goofy to me and has a tendency to catch on the gear bag when removing the Surface. It does what it’s intended to do, although it’s a very tight fit sliding the pen in an out of the loop.

It’s better than nothing and I’m glad I have the option of using it or not. I’ll use it for a few days and see if it meets my needs.

The pen loop was in the Surface Pen box, which surprised me. I was under the impression that it was an optional accessory for $4.99. It’s available for that on the Microsoft online store so if your pen didn’t include one you can buy it, although five bucks is high for the little piece of cloth and adhesive.

7 thoughts on “Goofy Surface 3 pen loop

• August 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I was thinking about attaching it to the surface itself, that way if I go somewhere without the keyboard I still have the pen. Just got surface yesterday (same as yours color and everything)

• August 12, 2015 at 1:26 pm

The Surface pen will attach to the side of the Surface 3 that attaches to the Type Keyboard. There are also third party cases that provide options for the pen. I’ve gotten used to the pen loop and think it is good enough.

• August 12, 2015 at 5:34 pm

The pen loop actually works pretty well and has stayed attached to my type cover better than I first imagined. Like thelal, I sometimes wish that I had attached the loop to the Surface itself because I do sometimes use the pen without the keyboard.

• August 12, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The Surface Pro 3 also uses that same loop to secure the pen to the cover. The adhesive will weaken over time, so, I would suggest picking up a few spares (as I have) either online or at a local Microsoft Store.

• August 14, 2015 at 4:09 pm

When the loop fell off, I just leave out the pen home mostly. Rarely use it any way. With Windows 10, I see more use of pen coming though. Wish MS have a better solution than the loop. I think I will go old school and get a pencil case for the pen.

• August 15, 2015 at 5:54 am

I have been struggling with deciding where to put the pen loop (hence reached this website). I first tried putting it on the left side of the type cover (as recommended), but it fell off after a couple of days. I got a replacement pen loop sent from Microsoft (for free), but I decided to try putting the old one (with very little stickiness left) on the right top side of the surface itself with some sellotape. It doesn’t look pretty from the behind, but so far I am happy with it. The bonus is that I have the pen handy when the type cover is unattached. Anyway, I know not everyone uses a pen, but I wish Microsoft had designed the type cover with a built-in pen loop.

• August 19, 2015 at 10:35 am

I would also recommend using two loops. I spent my first year with y SP3 using just one. A couple of months ago someone suggested that adding a second would prevent the pen from flopping around or getting caught. Sure enough…it works great and I’ll never go back to just one.