Yes, Windows Phone is well and truly dead

In spite of Windows Phone apologists, er, enthusiasts claiming that the phones from Microsoft aren’t going away, they might as well. The hardware, and thus the platform, is on life support.

imageThe situation with Windows Phone reminds me of a space movie where the lone remaining crew member is walking on a barren landscape in some distant galaxy. A glance at the remaining oxygen level in the HUD shows it nearly in the critical red zone.

He gazes at the stars above and wonders how it would be if everything had gone according to plan, far-fetched though it was. Doesn’t matter anyway, the plan tanked and the end is drawing near. The sound of his breathing in the helmet reminds him that there’s not many breaths left to be drawn. He feels so cold and alone.

That’s how the situation with Windows Phone appears to me. The phones and soon after the platform will be going away, as there’s no reason for Microsoft to keep them around. Once it wrote off the Nokia purchase and laid off the thousands of remaining Nokia employees the writing was clearly on the wall.

“Windows Phone is not going anywhere!”

“Windows 10 Mobile will change everything!”

These are the reactions on enthusiast web sites to the Microsoft announcements about the phone business. You’ll also find the company’s claims to change tactics and aim Windows Phones at business, which hasn’t wanted them so far, and at enthusiasts, who are already its best (and only) customers.

Developers who continue working on Windows Phone apps, Windows 10 Mobile included, are crazy in my view. Who will buy your apps, not even Microsoft is behind your efforts.

Yes, Windows Phones are dead and Windows 10 Mobile will quietly fade away soon. The only thing you’ll hear in the helmet is the rasp of the final breath going in and out.

11 thoughts on “Yes, Windows Phone is well and truly dead

• July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm

This article was a waste of space. Most of the cuts in mobile will most likely hit the Asha line. Microsoft got control of 2 phone lines, Lumia and Asha. Asha does not fit into Microsoft’s new strategy since it doesn’t use Windows.

• July 15, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Who is this guy writing this rubbish. Does he even no what a Windows phone is? Uniformed rubbish. Windows phone in the Uk has a yoy growth of 48%. As well as huge growth in many European cities. The only place Windows phone struggles is the the US. Are Apple computers dead because they only have about 6% of the world market. Seriously write articles with some truth in them not misinformed garbage.

• July 15, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Hey James

I am a windows phone (Lumia 640, 625), android (Note 3) and iOS (iPhone 5) user. What you are saying is relevant to US market but not to Asian markets like India, Pakistan, Indonesia and so on. All of these are extremely densely populated countries and windows phone sales in these areas is extremely high.

Reason? We all use WhatsApp and nobody uses Snapchat which is prevlent in US market and sadly, not available on WP platform. Many of my US friends(who sell phones in stores) have told me that people are very interested in windows phone but they immediately loose interest when they learn that Snapchat isn’t available for windows phone.

Kamal, your Facebook friend

• July 16, 2015 at 5:34 pm

The usual intro: I own zero Apple products. Not a fan of Google by any stretch etc etc LOL

Fact: I own a Lumia 930, 1520 and 630.
    Here’s the thing: they a loveable gadgets. Hardware and OS have very unique selling points and strenths… But: if Apple, BB or any of the 1,287 Android OEMs launches software and apps as BETA as any WP release to date, they’d be laughed out of the market.

Some of Microsoft’s own apps for WP have not been updated in over a year. But They are regularly listed in ‘best’ or ‘trending’ lists in the MS appstore. LU Di CROUS!

Photo…. Now, the higher end Lumias have very decent photo capabilities. But: share the pics, e.g., via Twitter or
    Instagram and they are uploaded in the wrong orientation. They are crazily distoreted and and and…

That, of course, is assuming the Twitter for WP app doesn’t just shut down when you open the gallery to pick more than one photo.

It’s 2015. When Nokia tried to adapt Symbian to the ‘iPhone era’ with overpriced devices such as the E7 and X7 5 years or so ago,… well, they had more balanced
    devices in tune with a more mature OS!

The latest Developer Preview (10149) once again promises a lot. But if past releases are anything to go by, then Win for Mobile 10 will leave a lot to be desired for.

And: why ditch the Asha line when the growth is created by the very low-end WP models, anyways?
    And really, to think that a company that bought skype for BILLIONS cannot get Twitter or Instagram or Firefox or or or to make ONE decent app?

As to the UK growth… come on…48% up from what?
    Just before RIM went close to bust they experienced a similar growth because UK/EU networks sold cheap prepay BBs for the 1st time ever. That revival lasted about 6 months.

• July 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

I have used a variety of mobile phones over the years and my favorite is the Nokia 920 I currently use. Microsoft Phones aren’t going anywhere – they will be reference equipment just like the surface tablets. No need to freak out :-).

As far as who JK is – James is one of the preeminent tech bloggers who has covered the tech industry since the beginning of time. While we don’t always see eye-to-eye as he likes Apple products way too much :-), I totally respect his opinion. He has helped me know more about mobile computing, tablets, and a variety of other kinds of tech that, for good or bad, is why I might be considered to be an expert in my industry.

I would love to see more positive feedback in the comment sections of blogs in general. You may not agree with his somewhat inflammatory title for this article, but it’s his opinion.

The cool thing about blogs is you have equal rights to tell us how you feel. If you have a different opinion, feel free to communicate it one person to another. Your opinion is just as important as his. No need to tear another person down to share.

Besides, all you had to do is google his name (James Kendrick) to find out that he is a respected elder in the tech industry.

🙂

• July 19, 2015 at 1:02 am

Elder statesman or not, he’s certainly no corporate strategist. From above: “Once it wrote off [sic] the Nokia purchase and laid off the thousands of remaining Nokia employees the writing was clearly on the wall.”
      You do know, JK, that a write down is not a voluntary decision made by a public company, right? And it has absolutely nothing to do with the company’s future plans for the asset subject to the impairment charge. I get so sick of tech bloggers opining on financial news when the have no clue what they are talking about.

We’ll check back with you in ten years, JK. And we’ll be doing it on our phones running Windows and they will still be the most kick-ass phones on the planet.

• Pingback: Yes, Windows Phone is well and truly dead | jkOnTheRun | New Smartphone

• July 21, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Lol, it isn’t dead my man, is is just dead to you. Let’s be honest though, wasn’t it always?
    This is like one of those Coca Cola collectors writing an article about how Dr Pepper is finally dead. Why bother?
    You were never going to leave your iworld behind and switch to Microsoft, way even pay it any attention? Its not for you. I seriously wonder why it is such a thorn in the sides or fans of one thing for anyone to like something else.
    I have never owned an iPhone and I never will. I’ve given them a fair try and they’re just not for me. I’m not being ironic, or counter culture, I just like Windows phones, and Android tablets. It doesn’t inspire me to write articles about how the thing I don’t like is going away. I know they’re not going anywhere but neither are my things.
    Why be a hater?

• July 22, 2015 at 5:43 am

I am not a Microsoft hater, just telling it like it is. Fact is I’ve always been a fan of the company and Windows. I was a MS MVP for 7 years.

• August 21, 2015 at 1:26 pm

But your article is just a waste of internet space. plenty of people use Windows Phone devices. Sorry, its not the number your used to with your iDrone (think different, right). Go back to clicking your bubbly buttons and overpriced LCD screen.